Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Skillet Stewed Zucchini and Ravioli Eggs



So, I had one of those trips to the doctor that I hate. You know the ones where the doctor looks at you, looks at your chart, and gives that sigh of, "well, you've done better in the past." 
First, I know she didn't mean it that way. {Inserting the benefit of the doubt here} She probably had a long day and here I was, the chubby cute girl,coming in to get a check-up when she'd been dealing with wheezing golden folks from out of town all day. Literally looking at her, I realized that I had put off coming in to see her because I was a bit afraid of "that look." 
I'm a perfectionist. I'm perfect at being a perfectionist.
 If I mess up, I freakin' beat myself up forever about it. I didn't want to feel like I had done anything less than my personal best.  I also didn't want to admit that again, I needed the accountability of getting weighed every few weeks by total strangers to keep me on track.  
Guess what?  Since August, I've gained back about 12 lbs. I have no excuses for why that may be.   Except that apparently losing weight is not like losing your virginity and this will be a battle I will have to keep fighting for the rest of my life. 
Though I do realize at some level that the scale doesn't really reflect anything about me but my gravity, today I really allowed myself to get a little crazy about it.  I got in the car after the doctor's office and I bawled like a baby.  Then...I said to myself, "Suck it up sister!" 
I went home and made this healthy zucchini skillet dinner.  I hit the exercise bike for 45 minutes...and I said, "I'm getting back to the blog!" Why blog? Because when I blog, I feel like I'm accountable to the whole stinkin' awesome world! I may or may not have anyone who actually reads this...but to me, it makes me remember why I'm doing this! Plus...there's joy in the journey when the folks you love share it. There's accountability to myself when I write it down. 

Skillet Stewed Zucchini with Ravioli Eggs

26 oz stewed diced tomatoes
1T butter or olive oil
2 medium zucchini, sliced (4 cups)
1/2 cup minced onion
2T minced garlic
4 eggs
1/4 cup minced fresh basil
Salt and pepper to taste
 Directions:
In a 12 inch covered deep skillet, saute the zucchini, onions and garlic in butter until the onions are clear, about 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and simmer  over medium high heat for about 5 minutes more.
Push the zucchini to the side of the pan and crack the eggs into the center with the tomato sauce.
Sprinkle with basil (and cheese if desired)
Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 12 minutes, until eggs are set.

Serves 4.

Stewed Zucchini Ravioli Eggs

Serving Size, 1/4 recipe:
Calories: 150, Fat 6 g, Carb 7 g, Fiber 4 g, Protein 6

There you go my darlings! I'm back!

Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess

2 comments:

  1. Ah Steph, its like you are inside my brain and reflecting my thoughts exactly - only yours are funny! I love you and the courage you show the world, your family, and me... AND I LOVE your healthy recipes - truly they inspire :) Keep up the blogging!
    Your biggest Fan - me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try this recipe! I feel like we are in the same boat in that regard of needing accountability to keep managing our health. I'm glad that blogging does that for you! :) And thanks for the recipe..I love stuff like this & I feel like I've been in a cooking rut...so I shall try to break free of it!! :) -Kate

    ReplyDelete